This half day conference is presented by John Thurston
This course is intended as a refresher/introductory course about wills. It is ideal both for those entering this type of work for the first time, and those wishing for a refresher, or to extend their knowledge. It will deal with various issues (if time permits):
- Taking instructions.
- Uses/advantages/disadvantages of different gifts.
- Typical structure of a will.
- Joint tenants or tenants in common.
- Gifts to children or grandchildren.
- Capacity/undue influence.
- Transfer into the name of one party.
- Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.
- The effect of relationship breakdown on wills.
- Drafting points.
- Powers of trustees/personal representatives.
- Tax consequences and uses of different gifts.
- Case studies.
Some short case studies will be discussed if time permits. These are very practical, and deal with problems encountered in practice. They will enable delegates to apply the law to practical situations.